Vieux Carré Ingredients
– 1 ounce rye whiskey
– 1 ounce cognac
– 1 ounce sweet vermouth
– 1/4 ounce Bénédictine liqueur
– 2 dashes Angostura bitters
– 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
– Garnish: lemon twist
Vieux Carré Step by Step Mixing Guide
1. Fill a mixing glass or cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Add 1 ounce rye whiskey to the mixing glass.
3. Add 1 ounce cognac to the mixing glass.
4. Add 1 ounce sweet vermouth to the mixing glass.
5. Add 1/4 ounce Bénédictine liqueur to the mixing glass.
6. Add 2 dashes of Angostura bitters to the mixing glass.
7. Add 2 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters to the mixing glass.
8. Stir the mixture in the mixing glass for about 30 seconds to combine the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
9. Strain the cocktail into a chilled cocktail glass.
10. Garnish the cocktail with a lemon twist by twisting the peel over the glass to release the oils and then placing it on the rim or floating it in the drink.
11. Serve and enjoy!
Vieux Carré History
The Vieux Carré, a classic cocktail with a rich history, is a delightful concoction that has stood the test of time. Its origins can be traced back to the vibrant city of New Orleans, where it was first crafted in the early 1930s.
The name “Vieux Carré” translates to “Old Square” in French, referring to the historic French Quarter of New Orleans. This cocktail perfectly captures the essence of this iconic neighborhood, blending together a harmonious mix of flavors that reflect the city’s cultural diversity.
The Vieux Carré was created at the famous Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone, a renowned establishment that has been a hub for cocktail enthusiasts for decades. It was the brainchild of Walter Bergeron, the head bartender at the Carousel Bar during the 1930s. Bergeron sought to create a drink that would pay homage to the unique spirit of New Orleans, and thus, the Vieux Carré was born.
This cocktail is a delightful blend of rye whiskey, cognac, sweet vermouth, Bénédictine liqueur, and a dash of both Angostura and Peychaud’s bitters. The combination of these ingredients creates a complex and well-balanced flavor profile that is both smooth and robust.
The Vieux Carré gained popularity quickly, becoming a favorite among locals and visitors alike. Its reputation spread beyond the borders of New Orleans, and it soon became a staple in cocktail bars around the world. The drink’s timeless appeal lies in its ability to transport you to the vibrant streets of the French Quarter with just one sip.
Today, the Vieux Carré remains a beloved classic, cherished by cocktail enthusiasts who appreciate its rich history and exquisite taste. It serves as a testament to the enduring legacy of New Orleans’ cocktail culture and continues to be a symbol of the city’s vibrant and diverse spirit.
So, the next time you find yourself in the mood for a cocktail that encapsulates the essence of New Orleans, look no further than the Vieux Carré. Sip on this timeless libation and let it transport you to the lively streets of the French Quarter, where the spirit of celebration and indulgence is always in the air.